Thursday, October 16, 2014

10' 12' 14': Living from the Victory

"But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thursday nights you will find me at Life Group. Tonight was no exception. The score was 3-2 somewhere in the 4th or 5th inning when I left my house. I knew we were still down by a run but also had to turn my attention to the group and surrender my focus to the potential pennant winning game. As we ended the night I glanced at my phone and read 
Breaking News: Giants reach 3rd World Series in 5 years, def. Cards, 6-3, on Travis Ishikawa 3-run HR in 9th.
I was ecstatic and disappointed. Knowing that I could share in the excitement but grieving that I didn't actually get to experience it on the edge of my seat play by play.  Believe me when I tell you my time was well spent at Life Group and I wouldn't have taken back my decision to not move Life Group to a Giants watching party, although I did consider it. As we wrapped up and headed home, I was walking up the stairs to my door reading text messages and Facebook status updates filled with excitement and celebration, I knew it must have been an incredible game. 

I walked in to the post game playing and said causally "I wish they would replay the game." My brilliant roommate grabbed the remote and began to rewind the game. She had been watching since the 8th. This meant I could relive Michael Morse hitting a homer to tie it up in the bottom of the 8th to see Jeremy Affeldt retire Oscar Taveras to escape a bases loaded top of the ninth. This is when the true magic happened. Panda singles, Belt gets walked and Ishikawa approaches the plate. Two pitches  in and the heat rests on the shoulders of Michael Wacha, 2-0. Swing and a hit, Ishikawa has just hit a home run to bring the score to 6-3, the Giants are going to the World Series. 

As I sat on the edge of my seat watching the game unfold knowing the outcome I was reminded of 1 Corinthians 15:57. Although I knew the final score I was still experiencing the play by play. This is how we should live our lives. We know that Victory is ours because of the cross 2,000 years ago. Watching the game knowing that victory was coming didn't take away from the excitement but removed the anxiety that would normally accompany a 3-3 score in the bottom of the ninth. The fact that the tomb was empty and Christ rose should remove the anxiety we experience in our lives. I understand that there will always be things out of our control that throw us a curveball but can I tell you that those experiences don't catch God off guard. God is in control and has a perfect plan for each of us. We get to live in the Victory, Romans 8:37 Paul says "No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us." Be encouraged, you may feel like it's the bottom of the ninth with two outs but God has one more at bat and He will reign Victorious in your life. Trust in Him and believe that together we Own the Pennant. 

#OrangeOctober #3in5 








No comments:

Post a Comment